Sunday, July 3, 2011

Soul Food


Hammocks, instant soul food.  Bare feet in the grass.  The perfect activity on a late summer night with the one you love.  The ideal place to be on a fall day, wrapped in a blanket, reading a book.

I need one with fringe.  It will hang perfectly with the hammock chair we bartered for in Ecuador that is still wrapped up in plastic, quietly waiting in the basement to be introduced to Kansas.   This was two years ago.  I know now exactly where I want it to be - in the northeast corner of our backyard with a rock path leading to the destination from the deck.



I can picture it perfectly in my mind.




These are the type of corners I've created throughout my house, places to feed my soul.  Antique chairs from my grandfather's house separated by a record player my father eagerly picked out for my Christmas present last year. 

A breakfast nook filled with a table my family spent many holidays eating at when visiting my grandmother.  The grandmother I take after, who leaves me messages in my dreams.

I need these places to keep me grounded, remind me of what's important...

Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot.  In you soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.  - Oscar Wilde

Until next time,
Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment